- Alpha Arbutin
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP)
- Azelaic Acid
- * you can add Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution before Azelaic Acid for added support.
Your Routine Will Look Like This
|Morning||Cleanse | Alpha Arbutin | Niacinamide | MAP | SPF|
|Evening||Cleanse | Alpha Arbutin | Azelaic Acid|
Please note that Deciem say that their products are not for Melasma and you should consult with a specialist. We have some great posts about melasma in the Deciem Chat Room and some members have found some products that have really helped but
I have melasma and used this routine when I first started using The Ordinary. It did help, but as many of you know, melasma will come back the minute the sun is shining. If you can, go and see a dermatologist. Invest in a really good suncream, a fabulous hat, and avoid direct sun.
The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin
Alpha Arbutin is a water-based serum that helps fades dark spots and pigmentation. It can be used in the morning and evening by applying just a couple of drops to cleansed skin. Once you feel the Alpha Arbutin has been absorbed, apply Niacinamide followed by MAP.
- Fades pigmentation
- Dark Spots
- When & How: Use AM & PM before oils / cream
- No Conflicts
The Ordinary Niacinamide
Niacinamide is a water-based serum that regulates sebum and minimizes pores. It can be used in the morning and in the evening, although in this routine you would only use it once a day. Apply a few drops on top of the Alpha Arbutin and follow with MAP and your sun cream.
A common problem with Niacinamide is that people find it can foam a bit. Try using less product and patting the product on rather than rubbing it. Make sure your skin is cleansed really well with no residue from your cleanser.
- Regulates sebum
- Minimises Pores
- When & How: AM & PM before creams and oils
- Conflicts: Vitamin C 23%, 30%, Ethylated Ascorbic Acid, Ascorbic Acid & Alpha Arbutin and L-Ascorbic Acid Powder. You can use the 3 derivatives.
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate is a great vitamin c to use, especially if you’re new to skincare because it doesn’t have any conflicts. It´s a lovely emulsion that is applied after your water-based products. It can be used in the morning and evening.
- Brightens skin
- Evens tone
- Signs of aging
- When & How: AM & PM after water solutions
Azelaic Acid is a fabulous emulsion product that brightens your skin and evens skin tone. It should preferably be used in the evening only as your final step in this routine.
- Evens skin tone
- Texture Irregularities
- When & How: Preferably PM after water solution
The Ordinary, Pigmentation & Melasma
Read all about The Ordinary, pigmentation and Melasma here. How to tell what sort of pigmentation you have, why it appears and the best products for it.
The Ordinary & Deciem Skincare Routines
- General Signs of Ageing Regimen
- Pigmentation Regimen
- Dehydration Regimen
- Look of Blemishes & Congestion
- Textural Irregularities Regimen
- Rosacea Regimen
- Oily Skin Regimen
- Sensitive Skin Routine
- Personalized routines in the Facebook Group, NIOD & Hylamide routines
- The Ordinary Skincare Routines
- Personalized Ordinary Routines
- How to layer The Ordinary
- Find your skin type