The Ordinary can be really confusing when it comes to layering.
Below you will find all The Ordinary products divided into their solutions;
Layering products should be done from the thinnest / clearest to the heaviest / opaque. I suggest you mark your products 1, 2, 3, 4 when starting out. It´s all about layering the products so they are able to penetrate the skin.
What Deciem Recommends
- water based solutions first
- anhydrous or oil formulations
- emulsion / cream
- Suspensions, now this is the tricky one! Deciem have said apply after creams but many people will argue against this and place before the cream
Latest News for Buffet, Buffet + Copper Peptides & Matrixyl
It is best to not use Peptides in the same routine as the following products: Direct acids, LAA (L-Ascorbic Acid) and ELAA (Ethylated Ascorbic Acid). In addition, we would recommend avoiding the use of products containing copper peptides in the same routine as strong antioxidants as well as direct acids/LAA/ELAA.
At the bottom of this page you will see examples of the Deciem Regimens so you can see for yourself where all the products fit in a regime.
Water = Number 1
Apply these to cleansed skin. Acids should be applied to dry skin. If you use numerous water based products, Deciem have often said start with the one which helps the skin condition you are trying to target the most.
- Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%
- AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
- Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution
- Lactic Acid 5% + HA
- Lactic Acid 10% + HA
- Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
- Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
- Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 (apply to damp skin)
- Marine Hyaluronics
- Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA
- Argireline Solution 10%
- Buffet” + Copper Peptides 1%
- Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG
- Matrixyl 10% + HA
- Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
Apply Anhydrous products after water solutions
- Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane
- Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane
- Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion
- Retinol 0.5% in Squalane
- Retinol 1% in Squalane
- Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2%
- Ethylated Ascorbic Acid 15% Solution
- Alpha Lipoic Acid 5%
- EUK 134 0.1%
- Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3%
- *High-Spreadability Fluid Primer (last step before makeup)
Oils should be applied after water solutions and before creams / emulsions. Some people leave this as their last step or you could lock it all in with a cream like Natural Moisturising Factors.
- Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F
- “B” Oil
- 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Borage Seed Oil
- 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil
- 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil
- 100% Organic Virgin Chia Seed Oil
- 100% Cold-Pressed Virgin Marula Oil
- 100% Organic Virgin Sea-Buckthorn Fruit Oil
- 100% Plant-Derived Squalane
Suspensions (some say last step, some say penultimate)
Suspensions cause quite a bit of confusion. Deciem say apply after heavier creams but many people disagree with this and apply just before the creams. You can always Live Chat Deciem and ask.
- Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%
- Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
- Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone
As you can see above, Deciem say Emulsions / Creams last but this doesn’t really work except for the Natural Moisturising Factors.
- *Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion ( after water solution, before oil / creams)
- *Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate 10% (after water solutions, before oils / creams)
- *High-Adherence Silicone Primer (last step before makeup)
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA
- *Mineral UV Filters SPF 15 with Antioxidants
- *Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 with Antioxidants
So as you can see, the rule 1,2,3, 4 doesn’t exactly work and you need to do a bit of free thinking. Emulsions come last however, Retinoid 2% and Magnesium Ascorbyl both say after water solutions but before oils. Read the directions on each product.
In bold you can see numbers as per above which hopefully will help you understand the order of layering.
General Signs of Ageing
- Morning: “Buffet”, Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 (1 + 1)
- Evening “Buffet”, Granactive Retinoid 2% or 5% in Squalane, 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil (1 + 2 + 3)
- Morning: Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA, Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate 10% (1 + 1 + 3)
- Evening: Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA, Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% (1 + 3)
- Note: Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F can be applied in the PM before Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% for added support.
- Morning: Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA (1 + 3)
- Evening: Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, 100% Plant-Derived Squalane (1 + 2)
- Note: Alternatively, 100% Cold-Pressed Virgin Marula Oil or 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil can be used instead of 100% Plant-Derived Squalane in the PM.
Signs of Congestion & Look of Blemishes
- Morning: Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% (1)
- Evening: Salicylic Acid 2% Solution, Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% (1 + 1)
- Note: For non-comedogenic surface hydration, apply 100% Plant-Derived Squalane as the last step in the AM and PM.
- Morning: Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% (3)
- Evening: Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution, Granactive Retinoid 2% or 5% in Squalane (1 + 2)
- Note: AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution can be applied as a masque up to twice per week in the PM.