The Ordinary PAO, Period After Opening, Expiry Date & Shelf Life
What is The Ordinary PAO?
PAO stands for “period after opening”. You will find the above symbol with 3m, 6m, 9m, 12m etc., somewhere on the product and box. This means that once you have opened your product, it should be used within 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. It’s worth writing the date you opened it on the box or bottle.
The Ordinary PAO (period after opening), expiry date & shelf life will vary from product to product.
The Ordinary & Deciem Products Expiry Dates
Some of The Ordinary and other Deciem products have expiry dates.
- The Ordinary Sun Cream
- Niacinamide Powder
- L-Ascorbic Acid Powder
- NIOD CAIL Copper Amino Isolate Lipid
- There may be some others
The Ordinary, NIOD, Hylamide, The Chemistry Brand PAO
Below are some of the products I currently own, and I have added the PAO for you to see. Please be aware that Deciem updates their formulas regularly, so your PAO may differ depending on when you purchased it.
The Ordinary Peptides PAO Period After Opening
The Ordinary Acids PAO Period After Opening
|Glycolic Acid||12M||AHA 30%||12M|
|Lactic Acid 10%||12M||Lactic Acid 5%||12M|
|Mandelic Acid||12M||Azelaic Acid||12M|
|Salicylic Acid Masque||6M|
The Oils & Hydrators PAO Period After Opening
|Squalane Oil||6M||Natural Moisturising Factors||12M|
|Hemi Squalane||6M||Hyaluronic Acid|
|Borage Seed Oil||6M||Marine Hyaluronics||12M|
|Chia Seed Oil||6M||Amino Acids||12M|
The Ordinary More Molecules PAO
The Ordinary Antioxidants PAO
|Resveratrol & Ferulic Acid||6M|
The Ordinary Vitamin C PAO Period After Opening
The Ordinary Cleanser, Concealer, Foundations, Hair Serum & Primers PAO
|Multi-Peptide Hair Serum||12M||Serum Foundation||12M|
|Squalane Cleanser||6M||Coverage Foundation||12M|
|High-Adherence Silicone Primer||12M|
|Hylamide C25||6M||Sub Q Eyes||12M|
|Sub Q Skin||12M||Hydra-Density mist||12M|
|High-Efficiency Face Cleaner||12M||HA Blur||12M|
NIOD PAO Period After Opening
|NIOD S20||6M||NIOD CAIS 2:1||6M|
|NIOD RP||6M||NIOD LVCE||6M|
|NIOD PF12%||6M||NIOD SS||6M|
|NIOD CAIL||Expiry Date||NIOD MMHC2||6M|
|NIOD NEC||6M||NIOD FM||6M|
The Chemistry Brand PAO Period After Opening
|Hand Chemistry||12M||Heel Chemistry||12M|
What is the shelf life of The Ordinary, NIOD, Hylamide
Deciem said that the shelf of…
- The Ordinary products are 3 years
- Hyalamide around 2 years
- NIOD is between 18 and 24 months
From experience, if you purchase copper peptides, I would advise you to use them as soon as possible as we have found they turn black rather than stay the gorgeous blue if you store them for too long.
If you do not buy a complete routine…
- You will spend more than you actually need to.
- There will be products that conflict and, therefore, cannot use them together.
- Too many products can damage your skin.
- If you do not stick to a regimen, you will not know if it´s working
- The period after opening on some products is just 3 months.
How long does a bottle of The Ordinary last?
If you use a 30ml bottle at least once every day, then you´re probably looking around 3/4 months. But if you have many products on the go and only use them once or twice a week, you will probably find that you go over the PAO. When it comes to buying masks, particularly the NIOD masques, I recommend purchasing smaller-sized products where possible if you are only going to use them once or twice a week.
- Write on the bottle or box the date you opened the product.
- Don’t have too many products on the go at once.
- Retinol & Retinoids now need to be kept in the fridge and have a PAO of 3 months.
- Wipe the neck of the bottles. Some products can get quite gloopy, particularly some of the oils and the caffeine.
- The smaller jars of NIOD may work out more expensive, but I think are better to purchase as you are more likely to use it all up in time.
- Don´t stock up on Copper Peptide products just because they’re cheap! We have found they don´t stay the gorgeous blue if stored too long.